Friday, April 20, 2007

SXSW - Austin, TX











3-16-07
Austin, TX – SXSW @ Emo’s
I have been psyched for this show for a while now, especially because I had never been to SXSW before! There are so many amazing bands playing everywhere! The streets were filled with eager fans and musicians. This day was extra special for me because I was also able to represent Keep A Breast (www.keep-a-breast.org), a non-profit breast cancer awareness organization. We raised close to $1,000 with the help of Michelle, another KAB volunteer, and the security guys at the venue. There were three stages, two in the main building and a tent across the street with the third and about 20 bands. The line was a couple blocks long before we even arrived at the venue and continued to fill 6th street…it was crazy!! When the clock hit 12 o’clock, the kids rolled in and the bands rolled out on stage. There was high energy throughout the tent where I posted up, and the same at the main building where Michelle set up her camp. The bands were great! In addition to the bands that are on the AP Tour, we were joined by The Photo Atlas, The Devil Wears Prada, Olympia, Spill Canvas, The Deer Hunter, Weatherbox, The Horrors, and Hot Cross just to name a few. After the show was over at around 6pm, we had the rest of the night to play! I went to see some friends bands play down the street from Emo’s and grabbed some good old fashion Tex Mex…which I will probably never do again unless there is absolutely nothing else to eat. Texan’s are not to keen on catering to vegetarians. I met up with some friends that I had met on Warped Tour last summer and I rolled out to the Pure Volume Party that night. There was an open bar and some great bands and MC’s to entertain us in a warehouse setting off the main strip of SXSW. There was just the right amount of people at the party. We stayed for a few hours and hung out, then the As Tall As Lions guys drove me back to our hotel so I could crawl into bed for nap time.

No comments: